I want our physical environment to reflect what we say we stand for.
OUR BUILDING AUDITS ASSESS THE MESSAGES FOUND WITHIN THE "BRICK AND MORTAR"
- Provides a "snap shot" through a fresh set of eyes to the physical space to assess how welcoming the reception,
displays, pictures, bulletin boards, signage, decorations, hallways, and common spaces are to all people.
- The JCC staff takes photographs and comprehensive notes documenting the entire experience from the moment
they enter the property until they leave the property.
- The building audits include all common areas and can include, upon request, audits of classrooms, offices, and
other specific areas.
Having a fresh set of eyes view a space reveals things that can be tweaked to make it even more welcoming and celebrating
of all people and their interests and beliefs. If the messages within the "brick and mortar" are not consistent or favor only
certain groups of people, then a school, business, and organization isn't truly embracing all the people, interests and
cultures it serves.
Physical spaces that are:
- Display cases filled with only trophies highlighting only athletic accomplishments sends a message to other activities and
clubs that their work isn't as important.
- A lobby that doesn't display a company's mission, vision and values is missing an opportunity to communicate to its
customers what's important to them
- Decorations around classroom doors may look pretty yet are a lost opportunity to highlight an anti-bullying message
or a motivational message to students
- Welcoming and inviting;
- Respectful of all cultures; and
- Consistent in signage, branding and communicating key messages.
The JCC's Building Audits provide fresh perspectives of the messages conveyed. The deliverable is a comprehensive written
report that includes strengths and opportunities through the photos. The JCC partners with a school, business or
organization to help implement "quick wins" and create action plans for long-term initiatives.
Hear what some participants had to say about Building Audits:
"I like how the report included photos of the space so I could see first-hand the perspective the JCC was speaking about.
I'm so busy throughout the day that when I walk through the halls, I don' take the time to think about how the space aligns
with our mission and how we want our employees and customers to feel. The building audit really opened my eyes to little
things we can do to make our spaces even more welcoming."
"The audit showed that 78% of the classrooms in the school do not have any type of welcoming or anti-bullying message for
students. That's not okay. We'll be addressing that quickly."
"When I saw all the versions of signs we have posted around the building side by side, I was astounded with the wording,
styling, and lack of branding. Every little thing matters in ensuring that we are conveying our best image. The audit helped
me see things differently."
Example of report pages:
- 61% of the school's classroom doors had no "welcome" message of any kind.
- 78% of the school's classroom doors had no "bully-free" message of any kind.
- 47% of the school's hallways were bare. No motivational messages or student artwork featured.
- 35% of the display cases were empty.