“The Sefer Torah number 1381 which this certificate accompanies, is one of the 1564 Czech Memorial Sifre Torah which constituted part of the treasures looted by the Nazis during the 1939-1945 war from the desolated Jewish communities of Bohemia, Moravia, and Slovakia, and which have been cared for by the Czechoslovak Government for many years, and which were acquired, with the good-will of the Czechoslovak Government, by good friends, from Artia (the State Cultural Agency) for Westminster Synagogue, where they arrived on the 7th of February 1964.
The Memorial Scrolls Trust (MST) was set up as an independent charity to care for the scrolls. 150 scrolls together with 500 wimples and binders remain in the MST Czech Memorial Scrolls Museum in London, a permanent memorial to the martyrs from whose synagogues they come; 1400 scrolls have been distributed throughout the world on permanent loan, to be memorials everywhere to the Jewish tragedy, and to spread light as harbingers of future brotherhood on earth; all of them bear witness to the glory of the holy Name.
This Scroll came from the town of PISEK-STRAKONICE and was written in the middle of the eighteenth century.”
– from the accompanying certificate of the Memorial Scrolls Trust